Leaving a place where part of your heart lives is never easy- especially one with so many firsts. To me Chicago is like that one person who you never really liked at first and then one day you wake up and realize they are your best friend and you really can't put your finger on the moment the tides shifted. I completely and utterly fell in love with not only the beauty of the city but also the inspiring and truly authentic people I met here (there?). I'll be honest when I arrived in Lakeview that cold January morning making friends was something I was really not at all interested in. It seemed like too much effort and besides- I was already counting down the days until we could leave. But then I met this incredible group of people who had so much love in their hearts and taught me so much about friendship and my faith. They made the cold windy city home.
I'm really not sure what it was about the city that captived me so much but the best word I can use to describe it is peaceful. Like a mother- calming my life in all the right ways. Maybe the timing was just right or maybe it was that charming lake or maybe it was the lack of humidity. Who knows? (It certainly was not the pizza)
But something about it grabbed my attention and nourished my soul- teaching me so much about myself and life along the way.
So wherever the road leads us I will always carry a little bit of Chicago in my heart - I really am not sure how not to.
And as we drive off west my heart aches for everyone I am leaving behind but I know a part of me is different and better because of their kindness and for that I will never forget them.
I love you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment