So yesterday was my last day working at University of Chicago. It was a day that I have much anticipated for the past 6 months however as I clocked out yesterday at 1923 I couldn't help but feel an overwhelming sense of sadness. Not because I am regretting my decision to leave but more so because of the thought of leaving the amazing mentors I have worked with for the past 3 years. I came into that job pretty much knowing nothing and because of their kindness, patience, and tough love they molded me and shaped me into the nurse I am. They took me under their wing and nurtured my love for the profession. They filled me with stories of all of their mistakes, critiqued me (again and again and again), and embraced me in their arms during the difficult moments when I needed it most. They gave me such a strong and solid foundation that I will build the rest of my career off of. People always told me when referring to that hospital, " If you can make in there you can make it anywhere. " It was definitely not an easy job and it challenged me in more ways than I would have imagined but at the end of the day I am so grateful for the experience. Never in a millions years would I have dreamed of landing my dream job fresh out of nursing school. God is so good.
It has been a trying, rewarding, emotional, difficult but beautiful journey. Those ghetto halls and crazy patients pushed me to the end of my rope. So many days were bookended with tears the minute that car door shut. But... there were also the days that reminded me why I got into this crazy profession in the first place. I've lived there just as much as I survived there. It has given me as much as it has taken from me. I would even go to say that it taught me more about my self than I've learned my whole life.
So as sad as I am to end this chapter of my life I am more than anything -so incredibly grateful that it happened.
No comments:
Post a Comment